Bring the Halloween spirit to your office or home without breaking the bank! Goodwill Industries of Central Oklahoma has everything you need to make the perfect DIY pumpkin for your desk or mantle.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Old book
- Hot glue gun
- Head to your local Goodwill and pick up a chapter book.
- Remove the front and back cover of the book, leaving all pages attached to the spine.
- Trace a half circle pattern on the first page. You will start at the top of the spine and draw a half circle that resembles a pumpkin. You will want this to cover as much of the page as possible.
- Cut the parts of the page that were not included in the pattern.
- Break the spine of the book by opening it in the center.
- Fold the spine back onto itself, hot glue both sides together and let it sit for 30 minutes. By this point, your pumpkin should begin taking shape.
- Secure your pumpkin by gluing the first and last pages together near the spine.
- Secure each page with a bead of hot glue along the spine to begin forming a rounded fan shape. When you are halfway through the pages, switch to the other side of the book and repeat.
- Use your favorite orange paint and add some life to your new pumpkin. Add an artificial stem, leaf and a piece of green ribbon to finish off the project!
By shopping at Goodwill stores for Halloween DIY projects you are bringing festive fun to your workspace or home and helping Goodwill fulfill their mission of providing job training and placement services for individuals in the community that are facing obstacles to employment. For more upcycle DIY project ideas, check out our Pinterest page!